Are you an experienced freelance graphic designer or illustrator with a portfolio of 2D vector-based character and environment design? Are you comfortable working with existing brands or art styles and able to find creative design solutions within technical, budgetary or brand-related constraints? Love games too? We’d love to hear from you!
Who are we?
Peek & Poke are a Sheffield-based studio that make web-based (HTML5) games for marketers. We work with all sorts of businesses, charities and media companies who want to promote their brand and engage with their audience in fun and interesting ways. Some well-known examples of these include: ARM, Boohoo, Coors Light, DFDS, Domino’s, EE, Greene King, IBM, JD Sports, Kellogg’s, Kwik Fit, LV=, Nickelodeon, Pringles & Sky.
We strongly believe that these games must be first and foremost fun to play, but they also need to work hard as a marketing tool to deliver excellent return on investment for the brands that commission them. It’s our aim to deliver fun, highly engaging experiences for players and, as a result, positive connections with the brands that commission them.
The games are usually delivered online, but sometimes also offline in a range of devices such as at tradeshows or in-store (e.g. iPads, touch-screens, arcade machines, etc.).
Who are you?
We’re looking to expand our roster of experienced freelance designers to help us deliver projects during our busiest periods.
You’ll be a middleweight to senior game artist or digital designer, able to adapt to and support our existing art team in delivering re-coloured or re-skinned games for our clients.
The work might suit a designer from an agency background who’s bored designing websites. Or it could equally be a good fit for an existing 2D game artist looking for a change of scenery and opportunity to try something a bit different.
So long as you’re skilled with Adobe Illustrator and can demonstrate you could produce work to our vector-based in-house style, then we’d love to hear from you.
Typical projects would involve:
- Creating original graphics for games in our vector-based “flat art” house style
- Re-colouring or re-skinning existing game artwork for various client brands, in varying styles
- Designing marketing assets and promotional materials for in-house campaigns (mailers, e-books, website illustrations, etc.)
- Have a passion for 2D illustration and character design
- Have a portfolio of work demonstrating vector-based illustrations and other different styles (Online or PDF)
- Be fully proficient with Adobe Illustrator
- Possess excellent communication skills
- Have a solid understanding of art and design fundamentals
- Be self-motivated, keen to learn and have a go at new approaches & styles
- Be happy to operate on a work-for-hire basis
It would also be useful (but not essential) if you had:
- Experience with Adobe Animate would be highly advantageous
- UX/UI design experience
- Experience of game/level design
- An appreciation of casual, mobile and/or browser games
- Music production / Sound design experience
- Familiar with working in a creative, project-based studio environment
We find kicking-off new projects works best when face-to-face and would prefer to work with freelancers who are happy to spend a day or two at the start of a project working from our offices in Sheffield.
That said, we would consider fully remote workers providing they have the right combination of experience, skills & attitude.
Interested in working with us?
Email us at email@example.com to introduce yourself. Please include details of your day rates, location and (most importantly) a link to your CV & Portfolio.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to email us or call Tim or Adam on 0114 399 1011.
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES!!!
Return to vacancies.